Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reflective Essay 1: English, to Me…

            Ever since I was a young boy, I could already speak the English language. Although back then, I could only repeat the phrases I heard from T.V or introduce myself in class using English. But as I grew older, I learned new words and my phrases had evolved to sentences. And like any other child, I was reading books that were in English. As I grew even older, I used English more often than tagalong, read more books and wrote essays, in English. Now, at my age, I find reading long novels boring due to the fact that they are indeed long. But whenever I am asked to make an essay, I do so without hesitation. And being the former Text Editor of our yearbook, I do not find correcting grammar and paraphrasing the thoughts of others to be a complicated task.

            Although I do find writing in English easy, I do not really have an elaborate vocabulary; thus my imagination and creativity in writing poetry is limited to the simple words that I do know. I also believe that I am not much of a reader and would like to develop this skill further. I expect Englcom to challenge me to read more so that I may have a wider vocabulary and imagination. I also expect Englcom to develop my writing skills and help me to write better and more elaborate essays. I think that the course will help me such that afterwards, I will be more proficient in the English language; not just in speaking, but also in writing and reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment